Whether you are living in an area often affected by natural disasters or not, it is important to plan ahead if you are living with an ostomy. These tips may help you to feel more confident in the event of a disaster or severe weather.
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) suggests that if you take medicine or use medical supplies on a daily basis, be sure you have what you need on hand to make it on your own for at least 7-10 days.1
- If you don’t already use a moldable skin barrier, consider sampling one now. In the event you do not have access to scissors, moldable skin barriers may be easier to manage when displaced from your home. Check out and sample the Esteem One-Piece Moldable here.
- Keep a copy of your prescriptions, dosage or treatment information, specific order number and name of ostomy products used, healthcare provider contact information and medical insurance information with your emergency supplies.1
- Hydration is important. If you have advance notice of a potential disaster situation, make sure you have enough clean drinking water on hand for at least three days. If you do not have advance notice, consider water sanitation devices available from camping or outdoor equipment retailers.
- If possible with your personal dietary needs, find some non-perishable, ostomy-friendly foods to keep with your emergency supplies. For suggestions on what foods may work for you, read our diet information here or consult with your healthcare provider.
- Disposable cleansing wipes may be helpful if your normal pouch change routine is altered due to lack of clean water. Consider keeping Aloe Vesta Bathing Cloths with your emergency supplies.
- Review your emergency preparedness plan with your family and friends. Having a support system in the event of a disaster may increase your confidence in handling various situations.
If you are living with an ostomy and still have questions about preparing for a disaster, consult with your healthcare professional. If you have additional ostomy information questions, need support and resources, contact our me+ team at 1-800-422-8811 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.