Showering and bathing with an ostomy can be easier when you have the right information and products.
- You can bathe or shower while wearing your pouching system. Water will not harm or enter your stoma.1 If you choose to shower without the pouch, remove the skin barrier too.
- Check your pouch seal. Before getting in the bath or shower, make sure your seal is secure.
- Try ease™ Strips. ease™ Strips may be helpful if you will be bathing or showering for an extended period of time. Learn more and request free samples now.
- Use all-natural products. If you shower with your pouch off, make sure you use a soap that is oil and residue-free.
- Listen to your body. If possible, select a time when your stoma is less active.
- Using a filtered pouch? Place a filter cover sticker over the filter opening before bathing.
Learn about other ostomy products that may fit your needs.
Managing Humidity and Extending Pouch Wear Times with an Ostomy
1Goldberg, M. Patient Education Following Urinary/Fecal Diversion. In: Carmel J. Colwell J, Goldberg, M, eds. Wound Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society Core Curriculum Ostomy Management. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer; 2016: 131-139.